Wednesday, November 02, 2011

Wilderness Reading List

I am a huge fan of The Guardian book review and think this list will interest many of you. Phillip Connor (author of Fire Season: Field Notes from a Wilderness Lookout) has listed his top 10 wilderness books.

I've read Gary Snyder, John Fowles and Edward Abbey, but this list introduces me to new authors to explore. I place Annie Dillard, Terry Tempest Williams and Rachel Carson at the top of my natural history/outdoor reading list. But I'm always looking for more...

I would love to hear about your favorite wilderness reading. Please share your favorites in a comment.

2 comments:

Debbie said...

I just read Fire Season (sent to me by John Sherman; thank you John!). This list has several books I'm going to seek out. Thanks, Kathryn!

Anonymous said...

Here's three:

1) Indian Creek Chronicles: A Winter Alone in the Wilderness by Pete Fromm.
2) Cactus Eaters: How I Lost My Mind - and Almost Found Myself - on the Pacific Crest Trail by Dan White
3) A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson. Ca